Sunday, July 01, 2007

"Horcrux" Socks for my Harry Potter fan

This pair of socks will be a "Harry Potter"-themed gift for my granddaughter Maggie, who is eagerly awaiting the release of the last book in the series, I'm sure. I know it's July, but maybe the evenings in Oregon will be cool enough for her to snuggle her feet into these socks while she reads the book. The designer, Susan Lawrence, is asking the question, "Is Harry the last horcrux?" It's a creative and fun-to-knit design that is perfect for sportweight yarn.

The pattern can be found on her blog and also in the Files section of the Yahoo group "Six Sox Knitalong," in the April 2007 file. I used the very nice sportweight merino sock yarn from Briar Rose Fibers, "Grandma's Blessing," in the navy, olive, and dark teal color.

Tech details: Size 1 (2.25 mm) needles except for the lacy zigzag part where I switched to size 0 (2 mm) needles. I do knit loosely, and the small sized needles made a nice solid fabric that should be durable.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That's such a lovely gift. The socks look beautiful. And what a great name for the yarn!

Thanks for the cardigan patterns you recommended. There are hundreds!

Peggy said...

Oh my, your socks and shawls are gorgeous!!!! Really!!!!

Sandra said...

Thanks for the link to the Shawl-Back Shrug! Your shawls are indeed gorgeous! Btw, if you're on Ravelry, I'm 'pen' there. :) Thanks again!